- Continuous software delivery
- Less complex problems to fix
- Faster resolution of problems
- Effective release management process allows superior leverage of distributed and/or outsourced development effort
- Faster delivery of features
- More stable operating environments
- More time available to add value (rather than fix/maintain)
- Enable faster delivery of efficient applications
- Lead to greater development efficiency with reduced cost
- Improve stability, agility, scalability, quality, efficiency, security, etc., of delivered applications
- Improved security prevents expensive exploit
- Improve customer (end user) experience and better meet SLA obligations
To summarize, DevOps includes Automation (Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Continuous Delivery, and Continuous Monitoring), Cloud Environment, Better Collaboration, Better Quality, and continuous customer feedback that ignites continuous innovation..
Key Component of DevOps Solutions:
Jenkins enables user to utilize continuous integration services for software development in agile environment. It can be used to build free style software project based on Apache Ant and Maven 2/ Maven 3 Project.
Chef is a tool which is used to transform the infrastructure into code. It automates building, deploying, and managing of the infrastructure.
Software Configuration Management (SCM) is a software engineering discipline comprising of tools and techniques that an organizations used to manage the changes in software components.
Cloud Computing is regarded as a groundbreaking innovation in the recent years. It is reshaping the technology landscape. With breakthroughs made in appropriate service and business models, cloud computing has expanded its role as a backbone for IT services. It has opened various opportunities in terms of availability of application deployment environments considering three service models and four deployment models. Cloud Computing provides elastic and unlimited resources which can be efficiently utilized in the time of peak load and normal load with pay per use pricing model.
Nagios is a cross platform and open source monitoring tool for infrastructure and network. It monitors network services such as FTP, HTTP, SSH, and SMTP. It monitors resources, detects the problems, and alerts the stackholders.
The continuous integration and delivery practice within DevOps addresses existing problems in traditional software development scenario such as conflicts between development and operations teams and usages of different tools across the SDLC.